History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Previous Next
Louis Frost
No. 8 Mine
No. 7 Mine
Marsh Mine

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962


Acadia No. 8 Mine (Abandoned)

This mine was opened in 1938 to work a small section near the outcrop of the six-foot seam at Thorburn, Nova Scotia.

The slopes from the surface 220 feet long were located 3300 feet Southwest of Acadia No. 3 Slopes, and the total extent of the working covered an area of approximately 2 acres.

The coal in this section was 3 feet 6 inches thick and of an inferior quality. In 1939 all the available coal had been recovered and the mine was abandoned, having produced a total of 2,180 long tons of coal during its productive life.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-03-15

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~