History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Previous Next
Louis Frost
Marsh Mine
No. 8 Mine
Return to

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962


Marsh Mine (Abandoned)

This mine, belonging to the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company Limited, worked in the MacKay Seam at Coalburn, which is halfway between New Glasgow and Thorburn. The slope was driven in the year 1900 and continued to work until 1909, by which time 150,000 tons of coal had been produced.

The coal was of fair quality, 4 feet 6 inches in height and was worked on a pillar and room system.

The mine was abandoned because coal could be obtained more cheaply from the Intercolonial and Acadia Coal Companies.

In 1915 a sub-lease of parts of this area was granted to the Milford Mining Company, who in 1917 opened a mine on the Captain Seam which continued to produce coal on a small scale until 1920, when the mining rights of the Milford Mining Company were purchased by the Acadia Coal Company Limited, who then called this mine Acadia No. 4, and continued to operate it until 1921, when the mine was closed due to depression in trade. It was allowed to fill with water and has remained so ever since.

The Captain Seam, in this part, averages about 4 feet in thickness and is of medium quality. The coal was worked on the pillar and room system.

In 1920 the Milford Mining Company had opened a small mine on the crop of the MacKay Seam but on the opposite dip to the Marsh Mine. This also became the property of the Acadia Coal Company Limited, when the rights were purchased and it was then named the Acadia No. 6 Mine.

This mine was also closed in the beginning of 1921 and allowed to fill with water. The surface works have been dismantled at all these mines.

In 1931 a sub-lease of part of this area was granted to the Greenwood Coal Company. The Acadia No. 6 Slopes were reopened by them and development started on both sides of the slope. The output was 120 tons per day.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-03-21

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~