No. 7 Mine
No. 5 Mine
No. 8 Mine
The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Acadia No. 7 Mine (Abandoned)
This mine was opened in 1936 in the Albion Colliery area 4000 feet West of the Albion Slopes near the town of Westville, to work the Cage and Third Seams.
The slope, which was opened on the Cage Seam, reached a distance of 1900 feet from the surface.
The upper sections of the mine were worked on a room and pillar system in the Third Seam. In 1937 a section of longwall was developed and worked in the Third Seam on the East side of the mine. Thereafter the method of work in both seams was mainly longwall advancing.
The colliery continued in operation until 1947 and during its life produced 607,715 long tons of coal, with an average of about 400 tons per day.
In l920 a slope in the Albion district was also opened in the North Seam, which underlies the Acadia No. 1 Seam by a distance of 150 feet. The coal proved to be of such poor quality that it was closed down in the same year. This slope was also known as Acadia No. 7 Mine.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~