History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Previous Next
Louis Frost
Acadia Mine

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962


MacBean Mine (Abandoned)

This mine located at Thorburn, was opened in the year 1872 by the Vale Iron and Manufacturing Company, who in 1886 amalgamated with two other Companies to form the Acadia Coal Company, Limited.

The workings were in the MacBean Seam, and worked by a slope from the surface.

The mine worked until it was closed for a short time due to an explosion in 1885. On reopening it worked continuously until the year 1889, when it was closed due to a fire in pipe slope and the colliery was allowed to fill with water.

The coal varies from 6 feet to 8 feet in thickness and is of good quality. The seam underlies the six-foot seam at Thorburn by an interval of 680 feet. The seam pitches at 32 degrees at the crop but gradually flattens to the dip.

The method of working was room and pillar.

The coal in the MacBean Seam left by the closure of this colliery is being worked by the present MacBean Colliery off the Lanark slopes.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-03-15

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~