The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Black Diamond Mine (Abandoned)
This mine was opened by a slope North of the Town of Westville, in the year 1871, to work the Main or Acadia No. 1 Seam. This mine was worked by the Nova Scotia Coal Company Limited, until 1878 when the mine was abandoned. By that time the slope had reached a distance of 1800 feet from the surface and ran into faulted ground and coal to the North had diminished in thickness. On the South the workings were cut off by the workings of the Acadia Mine.
In 1889 the area was sold to the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company and was finally purchased by the Acadia Coal Company in 1893.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~