The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Foord Pit (Abandoned)
This mine was opened in 1866 to work the Foord Seam to the dip of the Dalhousie and Bye Pits.
In March 1869 a fire and explosion caused the mine to be flooded. The mine was reopened and continued in operation until November 12, 1880, when an explosion and fire necessitated flooding the mine.
In 1889 the mine was pumped out and put into operation. However, on November 11th, 1892, there were indications of fire. This was accompanied by small explosions. The mine was therefore flooded on December 12, 1892 and abandoned. The remaining coal in this area was later recovered through entries from the Allan Shaft workings.
A section of the Foord Seam, intersected by a borehole in the Dalhousie District consisted of:-
Coarse Coal 0'2" Good Coal 5'0" Iron Stone 0'6" Good Coal 14'4" Iron Stone 0'4" Coarse Coal 7'7" Iron Stone 0'4" Coarse Coal 3'1" Iron Stone 0'4" Coarse Coal 2'11" Iron Stone 0'5" Coarse Coal 4'11" Total 39'll"
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~