|Store Pits||Foord Pit|
The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Dalhousie Pit (Abandoned)
The Dalhousie Pit was opened on the Foord Seam, 3400 feet west of the Store Pits in the year 1850. In 1864 a portion of the workings was lost through a creep. Its workings were driven entirely in a westerly direction.
Work was confined to driving rooms and robbing of pillars, and since the rooms were driven the full height of this seam, the pillars crushed so that after the robbing operation no coal remained in the area worked by the Dalhousie Mine.
The mine was lost through a fire in 1870. The coal to the dip of the Dalhousie workings has since been won from other operations.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~