|Store Pits||Bye Pits||Dalhousie|
The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Store Pits (Abandoned)
The Store Pits were sunk on the Foord Seam near the East River. The first of them commenced operation in 1827. The area worked was a strip along the outcrop of the Foord Seam.
The method of work was pillar and room and small pillars left to support the surface. Many of these pillars crushed. In 1839 a serious fire broke out, causing the closing of the pits, which were not reopened.
No coal can be recovered from the workings of the Store Pits by underground methods, although it may be possible to recover a considerable portion of the coal left in these workings by a stripping operation, particularly in these localities where the Store Pit workings were confined to the upper part of the seam.
It should be noted that explosions occurred in No. 3 Store Pit in 1834 and 1836. In 1838 there was an explosion in No. 2 Store Pit. In 1839 as indicated, the pits were lost by fire.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~