History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Next Next
Louis Frost
No. 3 Mine
No. 2 Mine
No. 4 Mine

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962



This mine was opened in 1882 as a slope on No. 3 Seam and was worked continuously until operations were discontinued following a fire on the pipe slope in 1916, when the mine was sealed off and the water allowed to rise.

After it was judged that the water had risen to a height sufficient to extinguish the fire, unwatering operations began and were continued over a period of six years, and by 1925 the water had been lowered to the 3200 ft. level and the main slope and fan slope partially repaired. The cost of this, including the dewatering, amounted to over $600,000.00.

The objective was to reach the 4800 ft. level, the lowest level in the mine tributary to which considerable development work of a costly nature had been executed just prior to the 1916 fire.

Due to the headway made by the water in this colliery during the strike in 1925, it was decided to abandon pumping operations and in 1928 a borehole was drilled up from the 4700 foot level and No. 3 water allowed to drain to No. 2 pumps. In this manner, No. 3 mine was partially dewatered.

In 1936, due to the plugging of the borehole at the 4700 foot level, a rising tunnel was driven to strike No. 3 Seam from the 5400 foot level and a new borehole drilled to dewater the remaining workings in No. 3 Mine.

A later consideration was the complete abandonment of the old workings and winning the coal in No. 3 Seam from No. 2 Mine by the development of a level cross measure tunnel as an extension of the 5700 foot tunnel to No. 1 Seam. This work was started when No. 2 Mine closed in 1958.

A consideration which led to the abandonment of the mine was the fact that it was highly probable that "Bumps" would be experienced in the deeper working of the mine, which would soon be under a cover similar to that of No. 2 Mine, and it was thought better to await the result of the experience gained in No. 2 before opening out No. 3 under conditions which would be somewhat aggravated due to the coal being thicker.

Bumps had already occurred in this mine in the steep coal on the 3800' level, at a cover of 1600 feet.

No. 3 Seam is fairly gassy and has on occasion given considerable trouble and anxiety due to spontaneous combustion in the steeper measures.

The seam is normally 10'O" thick, clean coal without partings, with a fairly hard roof and pavement of arenaceous shale. However, as the seam advanced toward the dip it was split by a number of stone partings. On the North side these partings were very troublesome and at 2500 feet from the slope the seam practically turned into shale.

On the South side of the slope the seam split into two seams, but in the lower levels at a distance of 3,000 feet from the main slope, these reunited to form a 10'0" seam of clean coal. At 5,000 feet from the main slope on the 3200 ft level the working gradually steepened, reaching a maximum of 70 degrees and at 9000 ft. the coal began to deteriorate in quality.

The angle at which the steep coal lay allowed the levels to advance further before reaching it.

The inclination of the seam varied from 30 degrees at the surface to 22 degrees in the lower workings, flattening to the dip in a similar manner to No. 2 Seam.

When the colliery was officially abandoned in 1930 and the slopes permanently sealed, there remained a considerable area of unworked lO'0" thick coal below the workings of No. 3 Mine.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-02-17

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~