The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962
Bye Pits (Abandoned)
The first of the Bye Pits was sunk in 1827 to the dip of the Store Pits. These pits operated on the Foord Seam until 1867. A fire which could not be controlled forced the closing and abandonment of the mine.
As in the Store Pits to the rise, no pillars were drawn in the Bye Pit operations and the pillars left were small and many of them crushed. At the time of the closing of the Bye Pits the output was being obtained from workings to the dip of the shaft. These pillars were of reasonable size and were mostly recovered by workings from the Allan Colliery.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-03-15
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~