NOVA SCOTIA STEEL AND COAL COMPANY LIMITED
Queen Pit (section No. 5)
The Queen Pit was sunk as a shaft mine to the Harbour Seam by the General Mining Association in 1854, to work the coal left to the dip when the Jacob Pit was abandoned in December 1854, due to an inflow of water.
The shafts of the Queen Pit were sunk in readiness to take over the operations of the Jacob Pit when that pit was lost, and were 400 feet deep.
The Queen Pit remained in operation until 1876, when it was temporarily abandoned. The area in which it had been working was taken over by Princess Colliery.
The mine, prior to its abandonment, had been worked in a room and pillar system, and the pillars had been left unworked. In 1906 the colliery was reopened to recover the unworked pillars and remained in operation until 1917 when the pillar drawing was completed. During this period, 1906 to 1917 - 1,153,689 long tons of coal were recovered. Prior to the reopening of this colliery in 1906, 680,196 long tons of coal were recovered from the Queen, Jacob and Yard Pits between the dates of 1871 and 1876. There are no available records of output prior to these dates.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-06
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~