History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Previous Next
Louis Frost
No. 23
No. 22
No. 24

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962

Dominion No. 23 Colliery

Gardiner Seam

The colliery was opened on the Gardiner Seam but was never in operation beyond a limited stage.

On the 17th of March 1925, the Dominion Coal Company started the deepening of No. 1-A Material shaft to the Gardiner Seam, a distance of 604 feet from the bottom of the shaft.

Boreholes indicated that the coal was 4 feet to 6 feet thick and of fairly good quality.

The sinking of the shaft was completed on November 4, 1926, the shaft having reached a total depth of 694 feet from the surface. The shaft is circular 13 ft. 6 ins. in diameter, and during the sinking a partition was maintained in the shaft for ventilation purposes.

Levels were driven East and West in the Gardiner Seam from the shaft bottom, a distance of 300 feet. This drivage proved the coal to be of inferior quality and from 43 to 47 inches thick, with a band of cannel coal, and splint about 8 inches thick next to the roof.

The coal was high in sulphur and ash, a typical analysis being: Fixed Carbon 54.44, Volatiles 32.12, Sulphur 5.59, Ash 13.44.

Operations were discontinued in 1927 and additional prospecting by boreholes about three-quarters of a mile to the rise under taken. This proved that no mineable coal under present conditions has been lost through cessation of work at this opening.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-01-05

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~