This was a shaft mine opened in 1872 by the Glace Bay Mining Company in the location now known as the Sterling Yard, to work the extension of the Harbour Seam originally worked by the old Harbour Mine located in the vicinity of Glace Bay Brook.
The Sterling Mine was operating at the time it was acquired by the Company, but was permanently closed in 1896 after working all the recoverable coal within the Town area, a large proportion of which underlay the present business section of the town. The coal was mined by a room and pillar system. The smallness of the pillars left to support the surface has been a large factor in the heavy surface subsidence within the town area.
During its life the colliery produced 1,151,199 long tons.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~