No. 7 Mine
No. 6 Mine
This was a slope mine on No 7 Seam, the opening being made about 200 feet from the entry to No. 6 Mine. This mine was put into operation in 1919 with the object of augmenting this output from the district and to make up the loss occasioned by the closure of No. 3 Mine.
The seam in this location is 4 feet 8 inches thick. On the north side the coal was free from partings, but on the south side a stone band from 2 to 3 inches thick occurs in the middle of the seam. The roof was shale with sandstone bands and the floor hard shale.
The pitch of the seam is the same as No. 6 Seam near the surface from 30 to 35 degrees, with the inclination increasing to the dip. At 1600 feet from the surface the inclination was 45 degrees.
At the 1000 ft. level an angle slope was turned off to the south, where the inclination of the seam was between 30 and 35 degrees and the entire output of the mine was drawn from this area. The workings on the north side were very limited in extent.
Prior to 1928 the system of mining was room and pillar, but as in the case of No. 6 Seam, there was difficulty in extracting the pillars, the system was therefore changed to advancing and later to retreating longwall and for some years prior to its closure in 1933, the entire output was produced from this source.
The conditions in the mine were similar to those in No. 6 Mine. The workings were naturally wet and moderately gassy, Electric cap lamps of the Edison type were used by the workmen and officials.
The mine was ventilated by a "Keith" electrically driven fan, producing 20,000 c.f.m. at a water gauge of one inch.
The coal was undercut by Mavor and Coulson longwall compressed air driven coal cutters. The same motive power was used for the underground haulage engines.
The make of water was 95 gallons per minute and the water was drained into No. 6 Seam through boreholes, from whence it was pumped to the surface by electrically driven pumps.
The average daily output was 530 tons, working two shifts.
The surface plant was similar to that of No. 6 Mine and here also the supply of compressed air was from No. 2 Mine, 1.25 miles distant.
A Wash house at this mine accommodated the men from both mines.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-02-17
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~