No. 6 Mine
No. 4 Mine
No. 7 Mine
This was a slope mine on No. 6 Seam, the lowest seam proved workable during the life of the Springhill operation.
The mine was opened early in 1918, to replace the loss of output resulting from the closure of No. 3 Mine, and was worked continuously until it was finally closed in 1929 as a separate colliery. The seam was later worked through No. 4 Mine.
The seam in this location was 5 feet 6 inches thick and was split by a band of stone averaging 3 inches in thickness about mid seam. The roof was shale and sandstone and the floor sandstone.
Near the surface the seam dips at a gradient of between 30 and 35 degrees, but as the slopes were advanced to the dip the inclination increased until at 1800 feet from the surface the seam attained an inclination of 55 degrees. This high inclination precluded further development of the slopes in this direction. The deeps were therefore turned off at an angle from the 600 ft. level, with a pitch of 35 degrees. This angle slope was driven a distance of 2,400 feet to the boundary of the colliery.
On the North side, the workings ran into very steep measures up to 70 degrees. The quality of coal also deteriorated; consequently the workings on this side of the mine were of limited extent.
Most of the coal was won from the South side of the colliery, where the ground was fairly regular and the pitch between 30 and 35 degrees.
Until 1927 the method of working was room and pillar, but difficulty was experienced in drawing the pillars. The system was therefore changed to retreating longwall and the output up to the time the colliery closed on December 3rd, 1936, was obtained from this source.
The average daily output amounted to 560 tons per day from two shifts.
The Bankhead was a wooden structure of a simple design due to this having started as a prospect pit, and although changes were planned, closure of the mine rendered these unnecessary.
The mine was ventilated by a steam driven Sturtevant fan producing 13,000 c.f.m. at a water gauge of 0.2 inches.
Compressed air for this operation was supplied by the compressors at No. 2 Mine, 1.25 miles distant and used for undercutting.
A small boiler plant supplied steam for the hoisting engine and fan.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-02-17
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~