History of Coal Mining in Nova Scotia
Home Index Document
Previous Next
Home Index Open File No File Previous Next
Louis Frost
No. 2 Mine
No. 1 Mine
No. 3 Mine

The Louis Frost Notes 1685 to 1962


Acadia No. 2 Mine (Abandoned)
Lanark Slopes

This slope, situated at Thorburn, was driven in the MacBean Seam about one-third of a mile to the West of the old MacBean slopes, with the object of reaching the coal left to the dip of the abandoned MacBean Mine.

The slope was started in 1917, but the coal was found at this point to be so inferior in quality that the mine was finally abandoned in 1920. It was kept pumped until 1923 after which time it was allowed to fill with water. In 1946 the slopes were reopened for the present MacBean Colliery.

When the workings in this mine were stopped, the face of the slope had reached a distance of 3068 feet from the surface.

During its life the colliery produced 53,437 long tons of coal.

Return to Top of Page

Last Modified: 98-03-15

Authored by: Louis Frost

The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.

~~ End of Page ~~