This mine is similarly situated on the Southeast side of Sydney Harbour as No. 17, but 6,000 ft. west of No. 17 Colliery slope.
The workings were not very extensive, the colliery being opened in 1865 and closed in 1878 prior to the acquisition by the Dominion Coal Company of the coal leases in which this mine was operated.
Available records indicate that the colliery produced 820,411 tons of coal from the 64 acres worked over during its life.
These records indicate that the seam was 6 feet 7 inches thick and the seam known as the Ross Coal.
An analysis according to Dr. Dawson showed volatile 38.70; Fixed Carbon 58.40; Ash 2.90. (Coal Fields and Coal Trade Island of Cape Breton, pp. 131, 132).
The coal from this mine was conveyed by a railway three and a half miles long to a wharf at South Bar for shipment.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~