This was a slope mine opened on the Harbour Seam at New Victoria in 1883 and was continued in operation after the formation of the Dominion Coal Company until it was closed in 1897. This colliery was reopened in 1914 as No. 17 Colliery, which is dealt with later in this report.
The initial opening of this colliery was to the east of the old Victoria Slope opened in 1865 and closed in 1878. The workings of this colliery were not extensive and were in no way connected with the new opening indicated above.
The New Victoria was worked on a pillar and room system with small pillars left to support the roof. This mine did not work any submarine coal.
The Provincial Mines Report for the year 1889 indicates that a fault crossed the east side of the mine and that in September of that year a roof fall in two rooms approaching the fault broached a feeder of water accounting to 6,000 gallons per day. Also the Mines Report for the year 1897 indicates that a crush had developed in the workings to the rise of the West levels then in operation, about 1500 feet from the surface and was undoubtedly a factor in the closure of the mine that year.
During the known life of this colliery and the old Victoria Mine 820,411 long tons of coal was recovered.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~