NOVA SCOTIA STEEL AND COAL COMPANY LTD.
Scotia No. 4
Scotia No. 4 was opened by the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company, Limited, in 1907 on the crop of the Harbour Seam, 8000 feet West of Florence Colliery.
The seam in the area allotted to the colliery was much thinner than in Florence or Princess Colliery to the South. As the workings progressed to the dip, the seam continued to thin.
Operations were continued until 1921 when the seam became so thin and irregular that economic working was impossible. The mine was therefore abandoned. No recoverable coal remains in the area allotted to this mine.
During its active life the colliery produced 1,387,961 long tons of coal from a worked over area of 352 acres.
The method of work was room and pillar and all the operation was under the land area.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-06
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~