NOVA SCOTIA STEEL AND COAL COMPANY
This was a slope colliery, opened on the outcrop of the Sydney Main Seam in 1902, near the village of Florence, about three miles West of Princess Colliery.
The colliery was closed on June 30th, 1961 and during its life produced 14,372,059 long tons of coal from a worked over area of 2,976 acres.
The seam in this area averaged 4'2" in thickness, but thinned on the North side of the mine to an unworkable thickness, which gradually cut off the major portion of the workable reserves on this side of the mine. The coal worked was suitable for metallurgical purposes.
The workings were entirely submarine and the method of working, longwall advancing. The coal was cut with compressed air driven chain and radial coal cutters.
Prior to closure the main slopes had reached a length of 20,400 feet and most of the economically mineable coal had been recovered and the balance, which is accessible from Princess Colliery, could only be recovered at a very high cost.
During its life the colliery was single shifted, producing an average of 1,250 to 1,300 tons per day.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-06
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~