Scotia No. 2
Lloyd's Cove Seam
This colliery was opened in 1902 and after an intermittent life was finally closed on December 28th, 1915.
Three slopes were sunk from this location on the outcrop of the Lloyd's Cove Seam, approximately 350 yards Northwest of Princess Colliery shaft, and the workings in the land area East of these slopes were connected to the workings of the old Lloyd's Cove Mine, closed in 1875. The slopes in this seam which overlies the main seam, were started about 1600 feet from the shore, and entered the undersea area with a vertical cover of 104 feet at the shore line. The seam pitched at 11 per cent and, due to the shallow cover over the coal, the slopes were driven 3,400 feet before the first workings could be developed in the submarine area.
After only a limited amount of development work, when the main slopes had reached a distance of 4,250 ft., the colliery was closed in October 1904.
The colliery was reopened on November 16th, 1907 and continued to operate until it was finally closed on December 28th, 1915.
The seam varied in thickness from 51/2 feet to 61/2 feet. The coal was soft, gaseous and liable to spontaneous combustion when stored in bulk. The seam had a shale roof and floor. The method of work was room and pillar.
During its life the colliery produced 922,765 long tons of coal and worked over an area of 92 acres.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-06
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~