This mine, located at Bridgeport, was originally opened in 1858 by Messrs. Cadegan and MacLeod, who sold it to the International Company in 1863. This mine was in operation on the formation of the Dominion Coal Company in 1893 and was continued in operation by the latter company until July 1st., 1914.
The mine was first opened by driving a level from the shore along the strike of the seam, from which bords were worked at right angles up to the outcrop, the coal being taken off in scows to vessels at anchor in the open bay.
Later the International Company sunk a shaft 80 feet deep on the original level. This shaft was located 1200 yards from the shore. This company also built a railway and shipping wharves near the Town of Sydney for the shipment of the coal, and from 1870 the coal was transported to Sydney for shipment to the United States.
The mine was worked on a pillar and room system, with pillar extraction.
The coal varied between 5 feet and 5 feet 6 inches in height.
In 1906 a pumping shaft 373 feet deep was sunk on the barrier between this mine and No. 9 Colliery.
No record is available of the coal produced prior to 1871, but between that date and 1914 the colliery produced 5,259,118 long tons of coal.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~