This was a slope mine located on the outcrop of the Phalen Seam in the Passchendaele area of the Town of Glace Bay. The mine was opened in 1900 to recover the Phalen Seam coal lying between No. 4 and No. 5 Collieries, and to the rise of No. 2 Colliery.
The seam in this area was 7 ft. 6 ins. thick and had an average dip of 8 percent in a northerly direction.
The mine, which shared a common bankhead with No. 11 Colliery, was worked on a pillar and room system, and was in continuous operation until 1915 when it was closed, all the coal tributary to it having been recovered.
During its life the colliery produced 3,976,690 tons from an area of 492.8 acres.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~