This colliery was opened in 1912 as a slope mine to work the Phalen Seam (locally known as the Gowrie) in a synclinal basin in the Birch Grove area. The slopes cross the basin which at that point was 1800 feet wide.
The coal is 5 ft. 7 ins. thick with a weak shale roof and fire clay floor.
The mine was not gassy, and the system of working was room and pillar with pillar extraction following immediately the formation of the pillars.
All the coal tributary to this mine was extracted to the limit of a fault separating the old workings in the Old Gowrie Mine from No. 22 Colliery area.
The colliery was closed in 1930 and during its life produced 2,819,871 long tons from a worked over area of 492.8 acres, with a daily output of 750 tons.
The main haulage was of the endless type driven by an electric motor on the surface. Subsidiary haulages were air operated. The mine cars were of one ton capacity.
The make of water was heavy, due to breaks on the surface following pillar drawing, and amounted to 550 gallons per minute. The main pumps were electrically operated, and had a combined capacity of 1150 gallons per minute.
The bankhead was of wood construction with a floor space of 5,400 square feet equipped to handle 200 tons per hour, classifying the output as slack, screened, nut or run-of-mine.
All machinery was operated electrically, the power being obtained from the Central Generating Station at New Aberdeen.
The mine was ventilated by a Sirocco Fan 5 ft. 0 inches x 3 ft. 71/2 inches, delivering 46,000 cubic feet per minute at a water gauge of 0.35 inches.
The compressor installation on the surface to serve this mine had a capacity of 3,000 cubic feet per minute.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~