This was a slope mine on the western flank of a narrow synclinal basin in the Birch Grove area.
The colliery was opened in 1910 to work the Phalen Seam (locally known as the Gowrie). The coal was 5 ft. 7 ins. thick. The method of work was room and pillar with pillar recovery.
The colliery was closed in 1925 after all the coal tributary to it had been extracted.
During its life the colliery produced 1,758,841 long tons from a worked-over area of 288 acres.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~