The colliery was opened through slopes from the outcrop of the Victoria Seam (Harbour) in 1883.
The colliery, which lies on the Southeast side of the entrance to Sydney Harbour, was a producing colliery when acquired by the Dominion Coal Company in 1893. It was closed in 1898 but was dewatered in 1913. Some little development was done and the colliery was again closed in 1914.
In 1918 it was pumped out and kept open until 1921, when it finally closed on July 15th of that year.
The workings in this mine are on the steepest fold known in this field. The seam near the outcrop pitches at 45 degrees, although the pitch of the main slopes varies from 14 to 26 degrees.
During its intermittent life the colliery produced a calculated output of 5,183,000 from a worked area of 422.4 acres. The calculation is based on a height of seam of 80 inches and 1831.47 tons per foot thickness per acre.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~