This colliery was one of two collieries developed to work the Lingan Seam in the New Waterford area, but as the frontage was too narrow to justify two collieries in the submarine area, No. 15 Colliery was closed and the submarine area allocated to No. 16 Colliery.
No. 15 Colliery was a slope mine opened in 1910 from the outcrop to work the land area East of No. 16 Colliery.
The slopes, which were driven a total distance of 4300 feet from the mine opening, are located about 400 feet East of No. 14 Colliery and run parallel with No. 14 slopes.
The frontage allotted to this mine was 7500 feet wide, and during its life produced 1,838,535 long tons from an area of 576 acres.
The coal was 5 ft. 6 ins. thick, with a soft shale roof and shale pavement.
The output from the colliery was severely curtailed in 1921 and 1922 due to a scarcity of labour, but after a brief resurgence in output during the years 1922 and 1924, the colliery was finally closed in 1925 following a fire which destroyed the colliery bankhead.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~