This colliery was opened through slopes from the outcrop of the Victoria Seam in 1908. The land area tributary to the colliery was very small, the shore line being within 1200 feet of the slope mouth.
The seam in this area is 6 ft. 6 ins thick and of similar quality to the coal mined by Dominion No. 12 Colliery, low in sulphur and ash and of good metallurgical quality.
The roof and pavement are shale of a weak nature.
The mine made about 90 gallons of highly acidulous water per minute. This water was pumped by a centrifugal Babcock and Wilcox 550 gallon per minute pump.
This water is now drained through a transit pipe in No. 17 East level in No. 12 Colliery, and is pumped to the surface through No. 12 Colliery pumping system.
This mine during its operation was gassy and was ventilated by a Walker fan.
In 1932 the areas tributary to the collieries were re-allocated, and the area, tributary to No. 14 Colliery was allotted to Dominion No. 12 Colliery, the hoisting slopes of which lie approximately in the center of the combined area.
Following reallocation, the roadways in No. 14 Colliery were to provide a return airway system for the East side of No. 12. This system became effective following the closure of No. 14 Colliery as an active producer in July 1932.
During the life of the colliery, it was worked partially on a room and pillar system and partially on longwall in the lower lifts of the mine where roof conditions were very heavy. Submarine pillars were also worked.
The coal was cut by radial and chain coal cutters and bored with Ingersoll-Rand coal cutters driven by compressed air.
The main haulage, 9300 feet long, was of the Balanced Trip variety, twenty-two wooden boxes of 0.9 tons capacity making up the trip. The hoist, located on the surface, was driven by an 800 horsepower D.C. motor.
The surface plant was electrically operated, only two boilers being used for heating purposes.
The colliery produced an average daily output of 1910 tons and during its life between 1908 and 1932 produced 5,878,001 long tons of coal, from a worked-over area of 1427 acres.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~