No. 11 Colliery was opened on the Emery Seam in the Passchendaele district of Glace Bay. In 1899 an entry was made from the outcrop and after some development the mine was abandoned, to be reopened in 1913. The average height of the seam was 4 ft., but in the lower sections varies between 2 ft. 8 ins. and 3 ft., and the coal was interspersed with stone intrusions and pinchouts in the seam. This eventually led to the closure of the mine in 1949.
The roof and pavement of the seam consisted of weak shales. The mine was comparatively free from gas and was ventilated by a fan of the Sirocco type, delivering 57,OOO cubic feet of air per minute against a water gauge of 2.2 inches.
The method of work was room and pillar, although a section of longwall was worked on the West side of the mine. This was later abandoned in favor of room and pillar. The coal was undercut in the rooms with Rand Radial machines and was bored by compressed air driven drills.
Horses and air and electrically driven subsidiary haulages were used to transport the coal from the working faces to the main haulage. The mine cars had an average capacity of one ton. The main haulage was of the endless type and a maximum haul of 8,000 feet. It was electrically operated from the surface.
The motive power underground was compressed air supplied by a 6,ooo cubic foot compressor, and transmitted into the mine through 8-inch and 6-inch mains 21,400 feet in length.
The make of water was 460 gallons per minute. This was discharged to the surface through a 12-inch borehole a distance of 320 feet by two electrically driven centrifugal pumps. The water was not acid.
The bankhead erected in 1926 was a wooden structure having a floor area of 8,600 square feet, and a capacity of 300 tons per hour. The screens were 3/4 bar shaker type, suitable for making slack and screened. The surface plant was partially operated by electricity and partially by steam. The boiler plant was rated at 1166 B.H.P..
During its life the colliery produced 7,543,358 long tons of coal from a worked-over area of 3,104 acres, with a daily output of 1,920 tons. The workings were entirely under land, with sixty-five per cent extraction.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~