This colliery was opened on the Emery Seam at Reserve Mines in 1905; first by means of a stone drift from the main slope of No. 5 Colliery on the Phalen Seam, and later by means of a shaft from the surface, 148 feet deep by 21 ft. 3 ins. by 16 ft. 6 ins. wide.
The height of the seam varied from 2 ft. 8 ins. to 4 ft. 3 ins.. It had good steaming and coking qualities. The roof was generally shale with an overlying sandstone band and the pavement, fire clay. On the south side of the mine frequent stone troubles were met with. These consisted of bands of stone up to 18 inches in thickness. Interstratified with this, coal, which in places developed into pinch-outs entirely displacing the coal.
The mine was slightly gaseous and was ventilated by a Keith fan, delivering 52,000 cubic feet of air per minute against a water gauge of 3.5 inches.
Early in the operation of this colliery, a modified system of longwall was established, but later abandoned in favor of room and pillar workings.
Longwall mining was later re-established, but abandoned due to the thinning of the seam on the north side of the mine and on the south side due to the intrusions and local pinch-outs in the seam.
Room and pillar mining was continued until the colliery was closed in 1942, the seam having thinned to 2 ft. 8 ins. in the lower sections. The colliery produced 6,726,390 long tons of coal during its life with an area worked over of 2,432 acres.
The colliery was double shifted and prior to closure produced 1,470 tons per day.
Rand Radial and M & C electrically driven coal cutters were used to undercut the coal, which was bored with air driven drills.
The coal was transported from the faces by horses, as well as electrically and air driven engines, to the main haulage which was of the endless rope type. This haulage was steam operated from the surface.
The make of water in this mine amounted to 1750 gallons per minute. On the North side of the mine, the water was pumped by an electrically driven centrifugal pump, through a 12-inch borehole to the main slope in No. 5 Colliery overlying the Emery Seam at a distance of 150 feet, whence the water was discharged through a water level in the Phalen Seam to the sea, in the Town of Dominion area. On the South side electrically driven pumps discharged the water through a 12-inch borehole 235 feet deep to the surface.
The Surface Plant of this colliery was common to No. 5. The bankhead was a wooden structure with 17,000 square feet of floor space and a capacity of 150 tons per hour. The screens were of the shaker type with perforations 3/4", 2" and 3" to make slack, screened and nut, and run-of-mine.
The surface plant was operated, partially by electricity and partially by steam. The electricity was supplied by the Seaboard Power Plant and the steam from seven B. & W. hand-fired boilers rating an 1878 B.H.P..
This colliery was operated entirely under the land area.
Return to Top of Page
Last Modified: 98-01-05
Authored by: Louis Frost
The information contained on this site is not provided for the purpose of factual
representation. Instead, it is provided in an historical context. Every effort has
been made to ensure that this information represents the actual content of the
original document authored by Louis Frost for the Dominion Coal Company
on or around 1962. Nevertheless, no warranties are provided in any respect.
~~ End of Page ~~